Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Authority and capacity precede invitation

All things have been handed over to me by my Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give rest for your souls. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you wil find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my load is light. -- Matthew 11:27-30

Jesus' invitation to come to him so that one can find rest for their soul is rooted in Christ's God-given authority and his unique capacity to make the eternal Father knowable (11:27). It is in knowing the Father where there is rest for our souls and Jesus has been given the exclusive right and means to reveal the Father. In that unique role Jesus invites people to come to him so that they may know the Father and there find rest.

There is no catch, no fine print, no hidden clause -- whosover will may come. However, coming requires yoking oneself with Christ and Christ alone.

How can bearing a yoke be 'easy'?
Jesus can assure us His yoke is easy because he alone reveals the Father -- in other words, He does all the work. Yoked to Christ does require going wherever he leads (no doubt we will stumble and even have to be dragged at times as we are yoked to him). However, he alone reveals the God who is life eternal. So where Christ is taking those united to him, in the end, is worth the yoke!

No comments:

Post a Comment